sasl bind error -1 because of socket error 54

Hello,

i try to bind to an server using the ldap_sals_bind_s function. The Host is not localhost, but is accessible via internet. I'v tested the connection with a java based ldap browser. When i try to do this using my simple c++ program, it fails with error -1.

Here is what the program actually do:
//initialize returns success
result = ldap_initialize( &ld, host);
result = ldap_set_option( ld, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, LDAP_VERSION3);
//set this option only after successful bind?
result = ldap_set_option(ld, LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_REQUIRE_CERT, LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_NEVER);

//the synchronous bind function returns -1 server down
result = ldap_sasl_bind_s(ld, root_dn, LDAP_SASL_SIMPLE, &credential, NULL,NULL, &serverReturnedCredentials);

When I use the asynchronous ldap_sals_bind() function, it returns 0 ldap_success. (I`m also able to create a simple socket to this particular server and port). The error -1 comes from the following ldap_result() function. The problem here is that the socket throws a sock_errno 54 (connection reset by peer).

Someone an idea why the connection always will be disturbed?

Thanks for any help

best regards, Max