Re: Problem with localhost unauthenticated bind

--On Monday, May 21, 2012 11:42 AM +0100 Tim Watts <tw@dionic.net> wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a new LDAP server (slapd 2.4.23-7.2)

I'd like to have root@localhost be able to perform "manage" operations on
the slapd on the localhost *only* - all other ACLs would be pretty
standard.

The machine itself is considered secure.

Ideally, I'd like to do this with a mode(600) Unix Domain Socket owned by
root.

How do you enable an "manage" ACL for the entire DN if and only if the
access comes via the unix socket?

olcAccess: {0}to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange by self write by
anonymous auth by dn="cn=admin,dc=cch,dc=kcl,dc=ac,dc=uk" write by * none

This says "self" can write to these attributes, regardless of origination
This says "anonymous" can access these when authenticating
This says the user "cn=admin..." can write to these attributes

olcAccess: {1}to dn.base="" by * read

This says anyone can read the base

olcAccess: {2}to * by peername.regex=127\.0\.0\.1 manage  ###<<< Added

This is garbage because you unnecessarily escaped the periods. Also, there is no need to use a regex, since you are being exact.

olcAccess: {3}to * by self write by
dn="cn=admin,dc=cch,dc=kcl,dc=ac,dc=uk" write by * read

This ACL will never be evaluated because the ACL prior to this already references "*".

My *guess* at what you are trying to do above would be:

olcAccess: {2}to * by self write by dn="cn=admin,dc=cch,dc=kcl,dc=ac,dc=uk" write by peername.ip=127.0.0.1 manage by peername.ip=::1 manage by * read

However, this still isn't what you want, because that isn't restricting by domain socket. As noted in the slapd.access man page, if you want to limit by domain socket, you need to use the "path" prefix. I.e.

peername.path=/path/to/socket

for example:

peername.path="/var/run/ldapi"

Sr. Member of Technical Staff