Re: Concerns with OLC (cn=config) for editing schema, ACLs, and deleting entries

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 March 2012 12:53:08 Howard Chu wrote:

The purpose of cn=config is to support configuration changes on a server
without causing any service outage. Supporting Deletes in cn=config is
fundamentally opposed to this goal. E.g., deleting an olcDatabase entry
cannot be seen as anything other than a service outage - you were serving
a database a second ago, now it's gone.

On a server serving multiple databases, removing one of the databases is not
necessarily a service outage. I would prefer (when I can clean up a legacy
database, once the last of the legacy software that uses it is migrated) not
to have outages on the other 3 databases in use.

And how will you know definitively that all of your legacy clients have been turned off?

Anyway, you can accomplish nearly the same, without deleting the database object, simply by modifying the olcDbDirectory to point to an empty directory. The old pathname will be closed, the new one opened, and there will be no data to serve.

--
  -- Howard Chu