alias entries across database bounds, allowed if DBs are "subordinate"?

Hey folks,

On the same slapd server, I have two databases with different suffixes.

I'd like to create an alias entry in one database and suffix to return
an entry from the other database and suffix.

Would this be possible if the second database were subordinate to the
other?  Or, because it does not share namingContext by being in the
same suffix, would it fail?

Otherwise I'm going to setup another slapd and use back-ldap/meta to
proxy what I need.

Thanks!
-judd

--