Re: Controlling access based on group membership

On 21/2/2012 12:28 ÎÎ, Buchan Milne wrote:

If you were to bind as the 'group'
cn=<someAdmins>,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com, this would work. But, not if you
bind as a 'member' of this group (which I believe is what you want).

Buchan, Dieter, thank you for your feedback.

Yes, I would like to be able to bind as a user (i.e. a member of the group) and not as the group itself. OK, now it's clear to me that it won't work.

(Note: It seems to me that it would add a GREAT flexibility in privilege management if it would! Could this become a candidate for a feature request for future releases? What are your opinions, as more experienced LDAP admins?)

Could it work if the values of the AdminGroups attribute were not standard groups (as those I have described until now), but a single dynlist, returning user DNs? So, for example, we could define our "AdminGroup" value using e.g. labeledURI of the form: "ldap:///ou=People,dc=example,dc=com?dn?one?(&(employeeType=admin)(ou=tech))" ?

Would this be expanded in ACLs of the form we discuss ("by dnattr=AdminGroups write"), where AdminGroups now contains a single dynlist entry as a value (and we want to bind as a user, not the dynamic "group")?

What you want to do may be achieveable with sets
(http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1133.html).

I'll read about sets, thanks.

Regards,
Nick