Re: canonical way to force full refresh in 2.4.28 / n-way multimaster

--On Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:23 PM -0500 Aaron Bennett <abennett@clarku.edu> wrote:

Hi,

I'm preparing to rollout 2.4.28 with n-way multimaster (in this case,
it's really 2-way multimaster but could become more), and I'm looking
to clarify what the exact canonical way to force a full refresh.
Here's what I've come up with:

First, I would *strongly* advise you to download 2.4.29 plus the following patches, as they fix issues with Syncrepl, since I'm guessing you are not using delta-syncrepl based MMR.

<http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=patch;h=8e7af6331ec2d0edaeb203b1c52d4016bc2bbcbf>

<http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=d4b3c2af6a61678060ef417b59bd63a36ec15c13>

<http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=eace24ef33dfae071b9450866d0ef5b0d3ad6d7f>

By "full refresh" I mean, blow away whatever is on machine Y with
whatever's on machine X.

olcServerID: 1 ldaps://animal.clarku.edu

olcServerID: 2 ldaps://zoot.clarku.edu

olcSyncrepl: {0}rid=001 provider=ldaps://animal.clarku.edu binddn="DN OF
REPLICATION USER" bindmethod=simple credentials=<PASSWORD>
searchbase="dc=clarku,dc=edu" type=refreshAndPersist retry="5 5 300 5"
timeout=1

olcSyncrepl: {1}rid=002 provider=ldaps://zoot.clarku.edu binddn="DN OF
REPLICATION USER " bindmethod=simple credentials=<PASSWORD>
searchbase="dc=clarku,dc=edu" type=refreshAndPersist retry="5 5 300 5"
timeout=1

1.       Stop slapd on zoot.

2.       slapcat > ocrap-backup.ldif

3.       rm ârf /var/lib/ldap/* on zoot

4.       SLAPD_OPTIONS="-c \"rid=001,sid=001\"" /etc/init.d/slapd
start

Then wait and it will refresh.

Is this correct? Is there some easier way?  Is there a way to do it
without the rm ârf ?  After it's done, do I need to restart slapd
again without the âc option?

You definitely have to do the rm -rf to remove the old DB. I would suggest, however, that you just slapcat the other master and load the data in to your the one you are updating, that will significantly reduce the time to sync.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.