Re: Is putting slapd into read-only mode sufficient for backups?

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Friday, 10 February 2012 01:04:09 Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

  Getting back to how to speed up restore:

  If you do move to slapcat/slapadd, note that tuning slapd as described
  in the Guide speeds up slapadd a lot, if you have not already done
  that.  So does the -q flag to slapadd.

But, I still have problems with restore speed on my databases on current
OpenLDAP on current platforms.

Specifically, OpenLDAP 2.3 and 2.4 can both do imports of a ~ 300 000 entry
database in under an hour, but only on RHEL4. On RHEL5 (everything else
identical), both 2.3 and 2.4 are about 6 times slower. I'm not sure if we have
results for RHEL6 yet ...

Pretty sure you'll find this is related to atime mount options on the filesystems and default behavior changing between rhel4 and rhel5. You can rule that out by using a shared memory region in all cases; you should find that the speeds are equivalent then (and much faster).

Under an hour for a restore is fine. Over 4 is unacceptable.

Agreed.

--
  -- Howard Chu