Changing ACLs in dynamic configuration off-line

When we want to do some non-trivial re-engineering in ACLs, on-line configuration using ldapmodify might be cumbersome.

So I think we could slapcat the config database, change ACLs in the output, and slapadd it while the server is offline.

So, if we have a set of >100 ACL rules and we want to add one ACL rule after, say, 22, would we have to *manually* renumber all the ACLs after the new 23 so that they are numbered n+1? Or, when the config db is read, is OpenLDAP able to resolve such conflicts (two ACLs with the same number) and renumber automatically? If so, what is the logic?

(Maintenance of ACLs in the dynamic configuration remains one of my concerns.)

Thanks,
Nick