From: Michael Ströder [mailto:michael@stroeder.com]
Sent: Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2011 20:22
To: Marco Weber
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: password-policy configuration problems: cannot change passwords

Marco Weber wrote:
> |ldappasswd -D cn=username,dc=domain,dc=tld -S -W  |
>
> |New password: ********  |
>
> |Re-enter new password: ********  |
>
> |Enter LDAP Password: ********  |
>
> |Result: Constraint violation (19)  |
>
> |Additional info: Password policy only allows one password value  |

I experienced the same issue with slapo-ppolicy in effect. I suspect it's caused if password-hash configuration directive was changed but up to now I did not dig any deeper.

It helps to have some software at hand which sends an appropriate ModifyRequest with MOD_REPLACE userPassword attribute value with updated password hash scheme. After that the Password Modify Extended Operation (like used by ldappasswd) works again.

Ciao, Michael.