slapd is pinned at 100% utilization

Hi,

I have two OpenLDAP 2.4.11 servers, using BDB 4.6.21 (Patches 4.6.21.1 & 4.6.21.2 & 4.6.21.3 applied), hosted on CentOS 5.2, setup for multi-master replication. Works great except that every couple of months either one of the slapd servers will pin the CPU at 100%. Requests continue to be served without any noticeable degradation in response, and no discernable errors in the LDAP logs.

I see the forums frequently mention CPU utilization issues, but most of the time this seems to be related to non-indexed queries, which I don’t believe is the cause in this case.

Restarting slapd resolves the issue, temporarily …

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bryce Powell