passwords disappear

If a user changes passwords on and ldap client machine, the shadow
entry disappears.  This is true for all hash methods except for
{CRYPT}.  Clearly I would like {SSHA} or {MD5} over {CRYPT}.
The client machines are pretty standard RHEL 5 machines. I have
exop in the config on the client. Setting the password on the LDAP
server works correctly.  Running the server in debug didn't make
anything jump out at me. Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps I'm missing
an ACL I don't know about.

Matt