Ghost/invisible subtree

Hi,
I'm having a strange issue. I'm running openldap 2.4.23 (on debian), and
after playing around with some software using my ldap server I now have
a ghost subtree.

'Ghost' meaning that I cannot see this subtree, but if I try to add an
entry that used to exist, I get an 'Already exists (68)' error. With
slapcat I can see all the invisible entries.

I tried to run slapindex, but that did not help. Then I created a dump
using slapcat, deleted the database, and used slapadd to fill it with
data again. Yet my subtree is still invisible.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this issue? I can't seem to
find any information beyond slapcat & slapadd. I don't see any obvious
issues in the ldif dump either.

Any help?

Thanks,
~David