Re: Index for objectclass does not work...

--On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:50 AM +0100 Steeg Carson <steeg.carson@googlemail.com> wrote:

2011/1/3 Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>:
The DB is always read off disk into the BDB backing cache the very
first time slapd is run (assuming back-bdb or back-hdb are your
backends).  I don't see any bug/issue here.

But does the slapd process during this time _write_ (heavy the whole
time) to the disk?

Did you configure you BDB backing cache to be in memory, or on disk?
 The default is for it to be on the disk.  If you want it to be in
memory, set an shm_key value in the database configuration.

--Quanah

Yes, thanks, thats it :). But why are the shared Memory on disk? Does
it not make the slapd slower?

I've only noticed it making things slower on databases that are 8GB or later in size.

My second problem is, that I don't really understand, how indexes
work, or is the a problem with slapd, my configuration or my Database?
As I said in the message before,
the searched  objectClass=subEngine exists 104384 times in the entire
directory: (=> ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D"uid=admin,ou=root"
-b"cn=ou=root>" "(ObjectClass=subEngine)" dn | grep "^dn:" | wc -l)

This does not look like a valid ldapsearch:

ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D"uid=admin,ou=root" -b"cn=ou=root>"
"(ObjectClass=subEngine)" dn | grep "^dn:" | wc -l)

The -b setting in particular looks broken, which is problem why you are getting that message.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.