ldapsearch does not work properly

I'm facing a weird problem with ldapsearch on our companies CentOS
OpenLDAP Server (CentOS 5.5, OpenLDAP 2.3.43-12.el5). Our DIT is as
follows:

o=company_name,c=country,ou=branch,ou=pool

Within that pool are all users of that particular branch office. With
some of those ldapsearch does not return a result when the search base is
o=company_name but does return one starting with c=country,o=company_name:

martin/linux2$ ldapsearch -x -h icld -b c=de,o=company_name uid | grep dn
| grep s_sarwar
dn: uid=s_sarwar,ou=pool,ou=branch,c=de,o=company_name
martin/linux2$ ldapsearch -x -h icld -b o=company_name uid | grep dn |
grep s_sarwar
martin/linux2$

With other users within that same branch it works as expected:

martin/linux2$ ldapsearch -x -h icld -b c=de,o=company_name uid | grep dn
| grep t_ceylan
dn: uid=t_ceylan,ou=pool,ou=branch,c=de,o=company_name
martin/linux2$ ldapsearch -x -h icld -b o=company_name uid | grep dn |
grep t_ceylan
dn: uid=t_ceylan,ou=pool,ou=branch,c=de,o=company_name
martin/linux2$

It does work for s_sarwar when I use the admin account to bind to in
ldapsearch but my understanding is that it should work without it as
well. We have no roles, no ACLs, no encryption, no nothing in that
server. Simple authentication, nothing complicated.

Any ideas?
Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH