Re: quick-start guide out-of-date

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Anders Geffen wrote:

I'm just getting started with OpenLDAP and I've just hit my first roadblock - the quickstart guide (http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/quickstart.html) refers to a slapd.conf file which is nowhere to be
found on my system. A bit of research revealed that slapd.conf has been deprecated. Is there a quick-start guide anywhere that is up-to-date with this change?

I think you've raised a valid point and if there's not a documentation ITS for this, there probably should be...but, with that said:

0. Although it's a legacy format, OpenLDAP 2.4 fully supports slapd.conf. Even if your distribution didn't provide an example or documentation to the path, you should be able to find it easily on a missing installation:

$ slaptest
could not stat config file "/etc/openldap/slapd.conf": No such file or directory (2)
slaptest: bad configuration file!

or, if it's trying to read a (possibly incomplete) back-config slapd.d, mv that out of the way and it will fall back to slapd.conf. So you can find the path where "slapd.conf should be" and then use the Quick Start as written.

1. Alternately, create the slapd.conf as described in Quick Start step #8, just saving it in your home directory or any other arbitrary location. Then, jump ahead in the guide to section 5.4 to learn how to convert it to back-config and how to start slapd(8) appropriately with your new slapd.d.