Unix authentication in corporate AD

Title: Unix authentication in corporate AD

Hello,
 Just a few questions regarding authenticating OpenLDAP (centos 5.4) to windows active directory.

I'm able to bind, I've confirmed this by changing the bind password, and then the bind attempt fails. However I'm unable to authenticate.

My attempt is always as follows:
su: user blabla does not exist

No errors end up in the messages log.

My question is .. could this be because the active directory I'm trying to authenticate against doesn't have any windows services for unix installed? Should that even matter if I can bind?

William J. Edsall