Re:

On Tuesday, 17 August 2010 17:35:49 VANTASSLE, GEORDON M (ATTSI) wrote:
> I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I'm running on RHEL 5

There are pre-built packages of OpenLDAP 2.4 for RHEL5 available. They might
not be absolutely current, but they are much newer than 2.4.11, and more or
less work out-the-box (as long as you take into account the versioning of
files/directories/packages).

> and
> installing as a non-root user. I get the following message when trying
> to start a fresh install of openLdap:
>
> $ ./slapd
> ./slapd: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.3: cannot open
> $ locate libltdl.so.3
> /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so.3
> /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so.3.1.4
> /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/.libs/libltdl.so.3
> /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/.libs/libltdl.so.3.1.4

This is a really basic software installation question. Please consult your OS
documentation. Reasonable place to start may be 'man ld.so' 'man ldconfig' and
'man ldd'.

Regards,
Buchan