Authentication information cannot be recovered

I have a headless server running Ubuntu 10.04 with LDAP set to expire every 30 days.  This is the first time that my password expired after the upgrade from 8.10 LTS, and now it won't let me get to the command prompt.  I login, then I get the following messages:

WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again
Enter login(LDAP) password:
passwd: Authentication information cannot be recovered
passwd: password unchanged

and it logs me off.  What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

mlb@imparisystems.com