rebinding and following referrals on bind

Hello list,

Is there a way to follow a referral on bind?

I'm trying to get the PAM module in nss-pam-ldapd to follow referrals
while binding. Background is available here [1].

If ldapserver1 refers a subtree to another server (server2) searches for
a user are correctly continued on server2 (using ldap_set_rebind_proc())
but when I try to call ldap_simple_bind_s() on the connection that just
returned the user from server2 I get "Invalid credentials".

Is there a way to find out which LDAP server returned a specific entry
or is there some other way to solve this?

Thanks for any pointes.

[1] http://lists.arthurdejong.org/nss-pam-ldapd-users/2010/msg00097.html

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org --