Re: LDAP Master hangs from time to time

Hi Sir Edward,

It does not have a pattern when it will hang, no  specific time or day. The solution we always do is just restart the application and then its ok. We're still investigating the cause of this hanging. We'll look up at your suggestions. Thanks for your help

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Cloud Strife <tipidpc.ataman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have noticed that our Master LDAP hangs every month; i.e. it stopped
> processing requests. We're using openldap-2.3.43-3.el5 for LDAP master and
> slave machines. Does this version have a known bug? Unfortunately, upgrading
> the version in not an option right now, though we're considering it for the
> future. Do you have any suggestion/recommendations besides upgrading?
>
> Thanks!

As a guy who played FF7 for 99:99:60 hours and then some, I feel I am
obligated to help. It is rather strange for a piece of software to
fail once a month. Is it always on the same day or the same time. If
so look in /etc/cron.d and see if any process could be causing this
(faulty log roll-over, something that uses a lot of resources).

You have not included any information that can let people help you.
Are you logging? Are there any messages in your slapd log? How about
/var/log/messages or /var/log/dmesg? Is there a memory leak? Are you
trending CPU/MEMORY/DISK activity over time using a monitor or SAR.
Have you tried capturing network traffic with tcpdump to try and
determine if there is a burst of traffic at that time?