Adding replicant with ppolicy after the fact

Hi,
I have a openldap installation that we recently implemented ppolicy and we have come to the point of using it in production.
I am in the process of putting in a dedicated ldap replicant(punching bag) and I am having trouble importing the directory due to the ppolicy extended attributes not being modifiable.

Is there a way to preserve the password ages and other pwd related history to the new replicant?
I reckon I could copy the entire contents of /var/lib/ldap/ from an old replicant to the new, and cross my fingers but that doesn't seem like the correct path.

Redhat  EL 5.5
openldap-servers-2.3.43-12.el5

Thanks for listening,