Re: failed to start slapd & can't create password - please help.

Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> On 06/20/10 08:21, sam wrote:
>> # slappasswd -h {MD5}
>> New password:
>> Re-enter new password:
>> Password generation failed for scheme MD5: scheme not recognized
>
>> What have I missed?
>
> Yes, --enable-crypt could/should do.

AFAIK --enable-crypt is for using hashed password values generated by crypt(3)
(password scheme {CRYPT}). But {MD5} is a built-in password scheme. I've built
slapd with --enable-crypt=no and {MD5} still works for me (whereas {CRYPT}
does not then).

$ slappasswd -h "{CRYPT}" -s test
Password generation failed for scheme {CRYPT}: scheme not recognized
$ slappasswd -h "{MD5}" -s test
{MD5}CY9rzUYh03PK3k6DJie09g==

Maybe the shell is (partially) consuming the curly brackets {} for whatever
reason? It works without quotes for me using bash though.

Ciao, Michael.