Re: Write through an LDAP Proxy?

On Friday, 4 June 2010 15:27:12 Christoph Berkemeier wrote:
> Buchan Milne schrieb:
> > On Friday, 4 June 2010 11:55:16 Christoph Berkemeier wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> i would like to use multiple OpenLDAP Server with Samba. As Samba uses
> >> only one database server
> >>
> >> , i considered it would be suitable to use a
> >> ldap proxy in front of my master and my slaves servers.
> >
> > For a single-master, multiple-slaves scenario, samba has supported this
> > since about 2.2.5.
>
> The support was removed in 3.0.23 as you can read in
> http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.23.html:
>
> ##############
> Passdb Changes
> ==============
>
> The "passdb backend" parameter no long accepts multiple backends
> in a chaining configuration.
> ##############
>
> The feature was removed, because, as far as i can remember, it need a
> lot of maintance.

But, a single passdb backend can specify multiple LDAP servers, as shown in
the examples in the smb.conf man page:

"
               Multiple servers may also be specified in double-quotes.
               Whether multiple servers are supported or not and the exact
               syntax depends on the LDAP library you use.

                Examples of use are:

               passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/private/passdb.tdb

               or multi server LDAP URL with OpenLDAP library:

               passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap-1.example.com
ldap://ldap-2.example.com";

"

Regards,
Buchan