Re: RPM spec file

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Joe Friedeggs <friedeggs44@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 15 April 2010 15:38:05 Joe Friedeggs wrote:
>> I need to build a Red Hat rpm for the latest OpenLDAP release. I am
>> looking for spec file, howto page, or anything else that might speed up
>> this project. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> There is also:
>
> http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5/openldap/

Thanks Buchan.  I see RPMs of the later OpenLDAP versions are
labeled 'openldap2'.  Is this just a naming convention change, a
work-around done for Red Hat, due to configuration file changes (similar
 to freeradius' explanation for freeradius2 at
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ#Current_Pre-built_RPM.27s_for_RHEL_5_and_CentOS_5)?
 If not, what does the '2' designate?

Joe

> Regards,
> Buchan

More then likely the '2' is just a way of resolving name collisions. If you work with RPM for a while your realize that slight variations in distributions "messes" with the portability of a package.

For example, I was looking for a gnome-applet that I only found a Mandriva RPM for. In RPM speak it makes sense to have a GUI-APPLET depend on x-windows. So the author put something like "depends: free-86". Now on redhat the x11 packes are called "X11" . Really this is a generic dependency it does not link to or compile off xwindows, put reasonably you could not use it without xwindows. My rpm manager was asking me to install things I already had, but it just did not know about.

So really the things inside an RPM are usually much more portable then the depends: definitions. As for the RPM you found. There are likely many things that have run time depends on the openldap client. If this new package was named openldap it would collide with the distribution openldap. So the author probably gave it a different name so it is a separate entity. System stuff compiled against openldap use the distribution version in /usr  , but the openldap server installed in /opt/whatever or /usr/lib/whatever is a separate entity (even though they may be compatible). Makse sense? :)