libldap mutex hang on ldap_int_sasl_mutex

I'm using openldap-2.4.18, library libldap_r.

I have three windows active directory servers setup:
childA.parent.example.com
parent.example.com
childB.parent.example.com

I do a LDAP+GSSAPI bind to childA.parent.example.com.
The bind succeeds.

I do a search that returns referrals, (I know I need to be referred to
parent, and then childB in order to find my result),
and I have openldap follow referrals for me.

My rebind proc is a function that only calls:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s( ld, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
LDAP_SASL_AUTOMATIC, sasl_driver, params );
where sasl_driver and params is the same parameters that I used for
the initial bind call to childA.

After the seach call, the debug it looks like this:

> ldap_chase_v3referrals, where ref[0] = parent.example.com
    > myGSSAPIrebindProc
        > ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s
        < ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s
    < myGSSAPIrebindProc
< ldap_chase_v3referrals

> ldap_chase_v3referrals, where ref[0] = childB.parent.example.com
    > myGSSAPIrebindProc
        > ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s
            > ldap_chase_v3referrals, where ref[0] = childA.parent.example.com
            < ldap_chase_v3referrals
            > ldap_chase_v3referrals, where ref[0] =
ForestDnsZones.parent.example.com
                > myGSSAPIrebindProc
                    > ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s ... HANG ON MUTEX

Since this is hanging on a mutex, that would suggest a code bug.

Perhaps the ldap_int_sasl_mutex needs to be a recursive mutex?
Or should my rebind proc do something different than call
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s?
Any other ideas appreciated too.

Thanks,
 - Jeremiah