Re: tls private key

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM, Chris Jacobs
<Chris.Jacobs@apollogrp.edu> wrote:
> Alexander,

Just Alex :) (getting used to google mail) Alexander reminds me of
being in trouble from the parents

> I don't know if they only get read at startup or not... but it does bring up the question: Why?

I would like to have another layer of protection on the machine /
certificates. I would have thought it would have been a quick and easy
question - yes I could go and read the src,  but.

> Protect the file with chmod 440 permissions (with root/root or ldap/ldap or whatever the user/group you use to run slapd).

yep I do, root.openldap (debian)

> If there are others with root permission to this box that shouldn't or you don't want to have access to these files - you /really should/ fix that issue first.  Then trust the file system permissions to do their job.

so why allow for encrypted private keys :)

> Sadly, I suspect though that you're dead set on keeping the certs password protected, and won't be doing the above.

The above is already done.

> However, you could always just /try/ - if it works, then you know the answer.  Just get used to restarting/starting slapd being a needless PITA.

not sure where you got the idea I haven't already done this ?

And I am note sure why its bad to look for another layer of security