Re: DNS discovery for OpenLDAP?

Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> writes:

> In the course of my research into a solution involving Kerberos,
> OpenLDAP and OpenAFS (a.k.a. the Magic Trio), I've discovered that both
> Kerberos and OpenAFS support methods of DNS discovery, but that OpenLDAP
> apparently does not. Is this correct?

OpenLDAP's command-line tools support service discovery using DNS SRV
records.  See, for instance, the ldapsearch man page:

       -H ldapuri
              Specify URI(s) referring to the ldap server(s); a list of
              URI, separated by whitespace or commas is expected; only the
              protocol/host/port fields are allowed.  As an exception, if
              no host/port is specified, but a DN is, the DN is used to
              look up the corresponding host(s) using the DNS SRV records,
              according to RFC 2782.

I'm not sure if this is also available directly in the library or if the
client has to implement it.