Re: Developer's cookbook for adding LDAP support

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Are there any good documentation sites or books out there for adding LDAP
support to a program? The ldap(3) man page is pretty sparse. I’ve been told
that basically studying the OpenLDAP source itself is the best way to figure
it out, but I’m hoping there’s something better.

I have only very rudimentary knowledge of LDAP in general. Almost all of my
exposure to OpenLDAP was through a helper library that did a lot of work for
me, but that was at a previous job. This is for an open source project.

The application to be updated already has support to get key-value pairs from
SQL/ODBC and Sleepycat DB sources, and I have a request to include support for
LDAP. Essentially in the application I am given an email recipient and I need
to get from the database a piece of detail I need to append to that outgoing
mail. There’s no standard schema for this (yet; it’s been suggested we create
one through the IETF), so I will need to allow administrators to specify which
attributes to request.

Any helpful pointers would be appreciated.

I recommend this:

http://www.symas.com/blog/?p=38

Read the code in Ekiga, it's fairly compact and straightforward.

--
  -- Howard Chu