Re: objectClass=posixAccount search anomaly.

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Dear OpenLDAP Tech list:
>
> I can't tell if the problem below is with OpenLDAP, or nss_ldap. Since I
> can reproduce the problem with the ldapsearch command, I'm inclined to
> think it's with OpenLDAP. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> At the academic institution where are work, there are several different
> departments that maintain their own LDAP directory:
>
> dc=sns,dc=example,dc=edu
> dc=math,dc=example,dc=edu
> dc=itg,dc=example,dc=edu
> dc=net,dc=example,dc=edu
>
> and a top-level LDAP server that just contains referrals to the
> individual  dept servers:
>
> dc=example,dc=edu
>
> We are now looking to share access to systems without duplicating
> account information in all the LDAP servers. So if someone from math
> would like to log into an SNS system, they can authenticate against
> their credentials in the math LDAP directory, and get their account
> information from there, too.
>
> We are using an RHEL 5.4-based Linux distro.
>
> To facilitate this, I added this to my /etc/openldap/slapd.conf:
>
> database        ldap
> suffix          "dc=example,dc=edu"
> uri             ldaps://ldap.example.edu/
>
> And in /etc/ldap.conf, I changed the base to dc=example, dc=edu. The
> clients are still searching my local OpenLDAP server first.
>
> After making these changes, 'getent passwd no longer works correctly,
> and these ldapsearch no longer returns results
>
> ldapsearch -x objectClass=posixAccount
> ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=edu objectClass=posixAccount
> ldapsearch -x -b dc=sns,dc=example,dc=edu objectClass=posixAccount
> ldapsearch -x -b dc=math,dc=example,dc=edu objectClass=posixAccount
>
> However, these ldapsearches work as expected
>
> ldapsearch -x objectClass=account
> ldapsearch -x
> ldapsearch -x objectClass=inetorgperson
> ldapsearch -x objectClass=inetlocalmailrecipient
> ldapsearch -x objectClass=top
> ldapsearch -x -b dc=math,dc=example,dc=edu
>
> Any ideas why the behavior is different for the posixAccount object
> class vs. the other object classes? Is there any other configurations
> for OpenLDAP that would achieve the same goal?

Hi,

please, provide us with:
*OpenLDAP version
- and since you say RHEL, I'd bet you're using 2.3.x. In such case,
please update to the latest version which is 2.4.20. 2.3.x is deprecated
and unmaintained
*slapd.conf and probably even structure of the tree would be useful too (?)

The last thing. Do you have % nscd; running? I'm using nss-ldap too and
it -didn't- doesn't work without % nscd;. Or let's just say, it is not
reliable without it.

Regards,
Zdenek

--