Re: Useless ldapwhoami behavior?

--On Monday, December 14, 2009 2:04 AM +0100 Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> wrote:

Hi all,

The utility of the "ldapwhoami" tool is a mystery to me. As opposed to
the usual Unix "whoami" command, which prints the effective userid,
"ldapwhoami" doesn't seem to print the matching LDAP DN... at least not
for me.

My test setup includes an OpenLDAP server and a separate client. The
server's slapd.conf includes these ACLs:

    access to attrs=userPassword,shadowLastChange
            by dn="cn=admin,dc=umrk,dc=nl" write
            by anonymous auth
            by self write
            by * none

    access to dn.base=""
            by * read

    access to *
            by dn="cn=admin,dc=umrk,dc=nl" write
            by * read

My LDAP DIT includes an account for a normal user with a password.
Without any problem I can use this to login to the client host, but when
I want to test, or verify, the account's LDAP DN, all I get is this:

    ~$ ldapwhoami -x
    anonymous
    ~$ _

So you did an anonymous bind, and it confirmed you are anonymous...

Even stranger, if I supply the account's DN and password (although this
would seem a useless thing to do, since it's the very same info I'm
asking for), I get this error:

    ~$ ldapwhoami -x -D "cn=testuser,dc=umrk,dc=nl" -w testpass
    ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

This indicates that the password for your testuser is *not* testpass

Error 49 = invalid credentials.  I.e., bad password.

The main point of ldapwhoami is to (a) verify passwords (which obviously you have wrong here) or to ensure that *SASL* mappings, which you aren't using, give you the expected result, such as:

tribes:~> ldapwhoami -h ldap.stanford.edu
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
SASL username: quanah@stanford.edu
SASL SSF: 56
SASL installing layers
dn:uid=quanah,cn=accounts,dc=stanford,dc=edu
Result: Success (0)

So, as you can see, my quanah@stanford.edu credentials map me to the uid=quanah,cn=accounts,dc=stanford,dc=edu entry.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc