Re: PHP: issues managing the password, what is wrong?

Zdenek Styblik wrote:
Jonathan Clarke wrote:
On 30/09/2009 07:43, Zdenek Styblik wrote:

I believe this is broken, or obsolete. I'm using Perl port of Unix
crypt() function, and it works just fine for "any" password lengths.
8 characters limitation sounds like - history :)

Actually crypt() is system-dependant. Different *nixes implement it
differently. Many implementations accept passwords of any length, but
only use the first 8 characters to create the hash. As a result, using
crypt passwords is insecure and un-portable.

So, yes, it sounds like history, but that's crypt for you :)

Regards,
Jonathan

Errr ... well, it seems so.
I think I've hit the wall with eg. sshd x nss-switch when having
passwords crypted by anything else than crypt();

nsswitch should not be used to authenticate against LDAP. That's what PAM is for. Clients should never know (let alone care) how the password is stored inside the LDAP server.

Also, using SSHA might be a bit of overkill (I'm not defending crypt()! :))
> So, what's left? Or more, what's the suggestion - which crypt function
> to use?

SSHA is the default; if you have to ask then you probably shouldn't change it.

--
  -- Howard Chu