Re: Configuring OpenLDAP on Ubuntu 8.10

Parag Kalra <paragkalra@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I just installed OpenLDAP ('slapd-2.4.11') and 'ldap-utils' on my Ubuntu 8.10
> using Synaptic Manager.
>
> I have following queries related to configuring LDAP on Ubuntu. First &
> Foremost I am completely new to LDAP so please don't mind if my questions are
> really funny [icon_s]
>
> 1. After installation the file '/etc/ldap/ldap.conf' doesn't seem to contain
> the parameters like 'rootpw' & 'rootdn'. Am I seeing the wrong file or is
> there any other ldap configuration file on Ubuntu?

The file /etc/openldap/ldap.conf contains information for ldap
clients and not the server configuration.
Ubuntu creats the configuration backend cn=config, there should be a
directory /etc/openldap/slapd./ which contains all relavant data. This
data can be modified by means of the protocol, that is via openldap
tools like ldapmodify or a GUI tool to your liking.

> 2. What is my default root node address and how to change it?

you have answered all questions when setting up the server, so you
should know.

> 3. My machine doesn't have any FQDN. Its name is - 'station3' and I don't
> intend to give it a FQDN. Now my question can I have my root node address set
> to 'dc=station3,dc=home'? If yes, then I guess it has to be through
> 'ldapmodify' but can someone please share the exact syntax?

The naming of the directory information base is not dependend of the
domain name service.
The easiest way to modify the database is to delete cn=config and all
database files, probably in /var/lib/ldap, and start from scratch.

-Dieter
--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://dkluenter.de