Re: Limiting finger lookup access on Linux

Brett @Google wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Rex Roof <rex@wccnet.edu
<mailto:rex@wccnet.edu>> wrote:

    I have some linux machines that I have configured for student
    access.  We are authenticating against our OpenLDAP tree and
    limiting which users have access via an LDAP groupOfNames.  This is
    all working perfectly.

    This is the problem I am having.   Any user with access to the
    system can run the /usr/bin/finger command and do a name search
    against our entire LDAP tree.   I would like to limit the info
    available via finger to just the users that have access to any
    particular machine.   How can this be controlled?

This sounds more like a firewall / iptables issue to your finger server
than anything else ?

No, doesn't sound like that to me.

Essentially he wants an ACL that grants access to nss-ldap searches based on the target entries belonging to a group associated with a particular peeraddr. But at the moment, I can't think of any mechanism to do this in the current ACL engine.

--
  -- Howard Chu