How to get certain log messages to filter through to a user connecting to OpenLDAP via a JSP page?

I realise this borders on a Java development question but I presume there
is an ldap-specific side of it as well so - here we go.

We use an OpenLDAP service to authenticate and authorize users of  server
based web applications written as JSP/EJB pages.
We have a reasonably working solution to let assorted exception messages
filter back to the user.
Much more difficult getting the warning messages back telling for instance
that the password is about to expire or that it already has expired and so
and so many grace logins remain, due to ppolicy.
I can see them in the ldap server application log but how to access them
programmatically boggles my mind.

Best Regards
Akke Bengtsson
Systems Developer