Re: OpenLDAP Mirror Mode configuration

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:36:23 +0100, Fernando Silva
<fernandolrsilva@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi

> I'm trying to setup a Mirror Mode configuration using 2 machines running
> OpenLDAP v2.4.11 on both. To make things easy both machines are on the
> same (private) network.
>
> [snip]
> mirrormode on
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 inside a VMWare image, but both images are running
> on independent machines and the network on both is Bridge Mode.

>From previous experiment, especially with OpenLDAP 2.4.11, I have very hard
time with making OpenLDAP N-way replication working on VM, especially
VMWare-based ones.

The main problem was with the management of the system clock, where VMWare
was making the clock slower and then make a "jump" to compensate the
slowiness. So, I got a lot of line "new modification with older timer
value" (can't remember the precise log line, though).

I had to switch to plain physical server (which was my target by then).

> All
> seems well according to OpenLDAP manual, but maybe I'm missing
> something. I start both servers using "slapd -d sync" in order to filter
> only the sync part.
>
> I created a script to insert 200 employees in my directory, to force the
> servers to sync up. When I start both servers and insert the employees
> in machine 1, I get this too much lines with this sample:
> slap_queue_csn: queing 0xb6851b4a
20090623082909.571025Z#000000#000#000000
> slap_graduate_commit_csn: removing 0xb82165c8
> 20090623082909.571025Z#000000#000#000000
>
> So the CSN is being created (I think), but there's no sync to machine 2,
> which makes me frustated. . .
>
> I'd appreciate any comments you can have, especially if you already have
> this kind of setup running.
>
> Best regards,
> Fernando

Hope it can help.