Re: solaris patch vs. linux patch

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:

Brett @Google wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if anybody knows why solaris patch refuses to process the
> bdb 4.7 patch files, where the patch command on linux works perfectly.
>
> Ie: on solaris :
>
> patch -p0 <patch.4.7.25.1
>   Looks like a context diff to me...
> Hunk #1 failed at line 187.
> Hunk #3 failed at line 296.
> 2 out of 4 hunks failed: saving rejects to sequence/sequence.c.rej
> done
>
> Works fine on a linux machine ?

We use  --ignore-whitespace on FreeBSD ports (databases/db47) which
solved this problem.  Another solution would be to convert the patch to
an Unix file :)

Yes this was the problem, ran the patch through dos2unix, and the patch applied ok.

Firefox (in Windows) transparently changed to native line encoding when it was being saved.

I suspect that some versions of Linux "patch" with automatically convert linefeeds.

Cheers
Brett