Hostname does not match common name problem

Hi there!

I have a problem with an LDAP server that I need to connect to. I have the required certificate stored on the client but I am getting the following error message:

"TLS: hostname (A.xyz123.com) does not match common name in
certificate (*.xyz123.com)"

Is there any way to work around this problem? As far as I understand it, RFC4514 section 3.1.3 allows wildcards thus the connection should work, shouldn't it?

What is confusing me is that

"openssl s_client -connect A.xyz123.com:636 -CAfile /etc/ssl/certs/rootca.cer"

results in:

Verify return code: 0 (ok)

If I am not mistaken, openssl accepts the server based on the certificate but openldap does not.

Any help is much appreciated. I am really stuck with this. Thanks.

Regards,
Sascha