Odd password reset issue

Running the OpenLDAP server bundled with RH ES3.  I had OpenLDAP
running successfully.  I could authenticate, pull information from the
directory - everything seemed great!  After the 90 day password rule I
had put in place, I got the "your password has expired" message.  I
tried to change it, said it was successful.  A subsequent login
received the same message. Again I changed it, and it said successful.
 Now, I can't even login.

I changed my user's password as root using ldappasswd, and a check of
the entry shows the hash changing accordingly.  However, I still can't
login as the user.

Any ideas?