Serious performance problems

Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to thank the community for such a great piece of
software and encourage the developers to keep up the good work.

Until now, the setup of the ldap and the file configuration has been pretty
straightforward. The ldap was performing great with few entries, but things
got worse as the number of entries in the ldap increased.
Currently we are experiencing serious performance problems when the
searches performed exceed certain amount of entries. The "ldap_search"
calls usually return after a few seconds but as the number of results
matching the filter entered increases, the waiting time varies from one
minute to many minutes.

The scenario is the following:
*  We are accessing openldap via PHP function calls
* The number of entries in the ldap is close to 100.000
* The hardware is the following: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.33GHz 1Gb RAM
* The slapd.conf file is the following:

/************************************************************************************************************/
modulepath      /usr/lib/ldap
moduleload      back_bdb
sizelimit -1
tool-threads 1
backend         bdb
checkpoint 512 30
database        bdb
directory       "/var/lib/ldap"
dbconfig set_cachesize 0 2097152 0
cachesize       100000

We have tried to increase both set_cachesize and cachesize (multiplying
both by 100) and have not noticed a performance increase.
I hope any of you can point us in the right direction since we are
beginning to get desperated...

Thanks in advance,

Mikel