Re: OpenLDAP Group ACL

Please keep replies on the list.

Luke Lee wrote:
Sir,

I have the following in my base ldif:

snip

and I have the following under the group ou:

dn: cn=pwmanager,ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=com
objectClass: groupOfNames
cn: pwmanager
member: cn=l_luke,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com
member: w_smith,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com

snip

The access defined in the slapd.conf file:

access to attrs=userPassword
        by self     write
        by group.exact="cn=pwmanager,ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=com"    write
        by *    none

access to *
        by self     write
        by group.exact="cn=pwmanager,ou=Group,dc=mydomain,dc=com"    write
        by users    read
        by *    none

Will I be able to use the following command to change user's password?

ldappasswd -x -W -D "uid=l_luke,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com" -S
"uid=w_smith,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com"

No.

How can I use the Netgroup and netgroup.byhost nisMap to achive the same purpose? Would you please help? Thanks!

You can't. You can't use anything but groupOfNames/member for group membership. The only alternative, discussed thousands of times in the archives (the last time three days ago, <http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200803/msg00241.html>) consists in using sets, but performance and deadlock issues will probably bite you.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.