OpenLDAP Kerberos Authentication fails

I am using OpenLDAP 2.4.9 on Ubuntu Linux 8.04.1 with MIT Kerberos
1.6.3.  Created a keytab file dedicated to slapd and set the path to it
using the environment variable KRB5_KTNAME in my startup scripts.  The
file is owned by root and read-only by the openldap group.  When I
attempt to use ldapsearch with GSSAPI to login to slapd I get back a
implementation error 80.  Checking the server logs, slapd reported the
following error:

Failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide
more information (Resource temporarily unavailable)

I tried removing the group read permission on the keytab file and
restarted slapd as a test on the file to see if slapd was actually
reading it and the minor code on the former error message changed to
Permission denied.  I then added a letter to the keytab file name in my
startup script and the error changed to File not found.  After reseting
the keytab filename and permissions the error was once again Resource
temporarily unavailable.  I tried deleting the keytab and re-extracting
the key using kadmin and setting the permissions appropriately including
making openldap the owner as well.  I then destroyed my ccache and
reacquiring a ticket.  When I ran ldapsearch, the error was still resource
temporarily unavailable.  The client and server are the same computer.
The service principal is ldap/host.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM and klist shows
that is did acquire a service ticket for that principal.  The hostname
command returns host.example.com for the hostname and that hostname is in
/etc/hosts as the first (primary) name for the server's ip address.
--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl@north-winds.org

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B