Timeouts and TTL's

I am using OpenLDAP (2.3.38) as a proxy server, to provide a single point of lookup, for the many e-mail systems used within the company I work for.

The only problem I am now encountering, is 'slapd' randomly hanging, and I suspect that could be caused by bad interactions between the proxy and ldap servers.

The most plausible solution would be to implement timeout's, but that is where I come into a brink wall, trying to understand when each of the multitude of timeout and ttl setting should be used.

begin:vcard
fn:Matthew Stier
n:Stier;Matthew
org:Fujitsu Network Communications;CAE
adr:Sixth Floor;;Two Blue Hill Plaza;Pearl River;NY;10965;USA
email;internet:Matthew.Stier@us.fujitsu.com
title:Principal Engineer
tel;work:845-731-2097
tel;fax:845-731-2011