Re: OpenLDAP system architecture?

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 14:50 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> But basically, have you read over the information on understanding your
> system requirements?  I.e., how to properly tune DB_CONFIG and slapd.conf?

I've read the OpenLDAP performance tuning stuff at
<http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/tuning.html#Performance%20Factors>,
but I do not yet have access to the boxes in question so I can't say
anything about the specifics of the configuration, etc....

> Updates -> master is always recommended.  You can set up multi-master with
> 2.4, but it will be slower than a single master scenario.  The general best
> practice for fail over is to have a primary master that receives writes,
> and a secondary master that is getting the updates, and will take over via
> fail-over mechanisms if the primary goes down, becoming the new primary.

Good to know.  Do you have any sense for the kinds of performance
differences you'd typically see in a multi-master versus master/backup
master scenario?  If it's just a typical 10% performance hit, we might
prefer to go with a multi-master configuration anyway (well, once we
upgrade to 2.4.something), but if it's considerably larger then we might
want to think again.

> RAM is probably the most important, but you also will want fast disks,
> proper partitioning of the logs separate from the database and logs, and I
> recommend a non-journaling filesystem.  2 or more cores is also useful.
> Unfortunately I don't really see enough information from your end (yet) to
> really say much beyond that.

Also good to know.  I'm assuming they've already done at least most of
this stuff, but I'll have to wait until I can get on the boxes and start
looking around to be sure.

> On the SunFire x4100 servers I used to have, I could easily obtain some
> 23,000+ reads/second with OpenLDAP 2.3 on a single server.

But that's reads only, right?  Do you have any sense for what kind of
performance you might see in a balanced 50/50 or even a write-heavy
environment?

> > How about the ultimate maximum distribution scenario, where you put an
> > LDAP slave on virtually every major LDAP client machine?
>
> Seems like major overkill to me, unless you are getting hundreds of
> thousands of reads/second.

At this stage, I'm not making any assumptions.  ;-)

--
Brad Knowles <b.knowles@its.utexas.edu>
Sr. System Administrator, UT Austin ITS-Unix