Re: slapadd going for a very long time

On Thursday 10 January 2008 18:01:12 Lionel Kernux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I realize that the versions to which I am going to refer are somewhat
> deprecated so please bear with me.....
> 2.2.13
> I'm running RHEL4 and am bound by policy to only use RHEL4 packages so
> this is why I am only using v2.2.13.

I also use RHEL4 packages, but not ones that come from Red Hat, ones I build
for RHEL4:

http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/

> Anyway...
>
> I need to add a new slave to the pool of LDAP servers. I ran slapcat
> -l /tmp/myfile.ldif on the master.
>
> Then copied the resultant ldif to the new slave.
>
> Then ran slapadd -v -l myfile.ldif
>
> myfile.ldif is ~250MB and the source LDAP directory contains #
> numEntries: 427839
>
> I started the slapadd 20 hours ago and it is still running....
>
> Is this normal, given the number of entries?
>
> Machine is Dell Poweredge 1750
> Xeon 2.4GHz X 2
> 1024MB RAM
> 36GB RAID5

On similar hardware, (1750 with 2GB ram, 36GB in RAID1 with a hot spare), but
with approximately the same cachesize in DB_CONFIG (as there are other
databases), one of our similarly sized databases (~ 450 000 entries, ~420MB
of raw ldif), takes less than two hours to import (on 2.3.x). I don't have
stats for 2.2.

Regards,
Buchan