slapd questions

Sorry - reporting with a better subject

in the current topic on syncrepl,

Gavin Henry wrote:

Can you slapcat your config back out and show us everything?

slapdcat -n 0 > config.ldif

/usr/sbin/slapd not /usr/local/libexec/slapd ?

I'm curious as to his statement above. My Slackware package installs slapd to /usr/libexec/slapd. There is no other version. Your statement seems to imply there could be two versions. Can you help me understand why?

And while I'm at it, can someone explain how slapd knows to act differently when called from one link, say, slapcat, over another, say slapdn. I've been using linux for 5-6 years and have not run across this particular behavior. Does slapd read argv(0) and act differently based on that?

\\Greg