Re: Can't start with DB_BUFFER_SMALL error

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
On 14-Sep-07, at 6:44 AM, Howard Chu wrote:

Jason Lixfeld wrote:
Anyone know what caused this, or how to fix? Google hasn't told me anything I can understand about this error.
=> bdb_last_id: get failed: DB_BUFFER_SMALL: User memory too small for return value (-30999)
bdb_db_open: last_id(/var/db/openldap-data/ario) failed: DB_BUFFER_SMALL: User memory too small for return value (-30999)
This should never happen. Seems the only way it could is if you installed a new software version on top of an older database. Naturally, you are never supposed to do that...

I've been using 2.3/4.4 for as long as I can remember. Updating via FreeBSD portupgrade which shouldn't bump major versions.

More importantly, how to fix? slapcat ; rm ; slapadd ? Or is there a less destructive way?

slapcat will fail the same way here. Whatever you last did to change either the software or the DB, you'll have to undo yourself or simply start over. This error indicates that an item being requested from the DB is larger than expected. Since the item in question is a fixed size, as I said before, this should never happen.

Another possibility is that you created the DB on a 64-bit machine and are now trying to read it with 32-bit code, since that would also affect the size of the item in question.

Running:
openldap-client-2.3.37
openldap-server-2.3.37
db44-4.4.20.4