Re: Automatic referral chasing

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 03:57:41 Taymour A. El Erian wrote:
> Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> > Taymour A. El Erian wrote:
> >> The docs of openldap are really not clear
> >
> > I suggest you make more precise statements: what's not clear, and how
> > should it be improved.  Otherwise your statement is simply offensive
> > with respect to the many persons that voluntarily (i.e. without being
> > paid, and often out of their little spare time) dedicated to writing the
> > documentation.  In fact, as developers, we shouldn't care too much about
> > documenting our work.  All in all, we can read the code, and we already
> > know how it works, so we shouldn't care too much about your needs as
> > soon as they do not match ours.  Note that I intentionally ignored your
> > question, since it has been answered many times, as you may find out by
> > searching the archives, and answering it once more seemed to be a real
> > waste of time that I could have dedicated to improving the documents, if
> > I received a valid feedback about where improvement is needed.
> >
> > p.
>
> Pierangelo,
>
>     I don't want to get into a debate about the importance of
> documentation, but documentation is really one of the most important
> things about software. If you as a developer understand the code, this
> doesn't mean the code is usable since most of those who use it are not
> developers and do not know how to read the code. Everybody appreciates
> the time and effort given by the developers. The administrator guide has
> no mention of the overlays (at least not chain) and the man pages do not
> give enough description, also the administrator guide could add examples
> for some configurations, maybe like those ones being asked in the
> mailing list.

Oh please, stop bitching and moaning about the documentation! I can't take it
anymore on this list. Why don't you go to work and send in documentation
improvements? I'm not a developer but I fully agree with them. If you want
better documentation, send your improvements to ITS or to the FAQ. As a good
LDAP admin you can figure out how it works.

kk
--
The 80's -- when you can't tell hairstyles from chemotherapy.