using both syncrepl and slurp

Hi,

I'm currently using an old LDAP infrastructure, mostly using openldap
2.2.3 from Debian Sarge, with slurp-based replication.
I'm willing to switch to something newer, using openldap 2.3.30 from
Debian Etch, with syncrepl-based replication.

Since I won't be able to update all the replicas in one shot, I will
have to keep some slurp replicas around.

So I thought I would use a master server with openldap 2.3.30 which
serves as a syncrepl provider, a few (new) syncrepl replicas, a "relay"
that acts both as a syncrepl replica and as a slurpd master, and my old
slurp replicas.

The "relay" is configured like this:

(...)
replogfile      /var/lib/ldap/slapd.replog
(...)
backend         bdb
(...)
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com"
(...)
replica    host=slurp-replica.example.com:389
           tls=yes
           suffix="dc=example,dc=com"
           binddn="cn=replica,dc=example,dc=com"
           credentials=XXXXXXXX
           bindmethod=simple
(...)
syncrepl rid=124
        provider=ldap://master.example.com
        type=refreshAndPersist
        interval=00:01:00:00
        searchbase="dc=example,dc=com"
        sizelimit=unlimited
        bindmethod=simple
        binddn="cn=syncrepl,dc=example,dc=com"
        credentials=XXXXXXXX
        starttls=critical

Changes to the master server are correctly replicated to the relay, but
no /var/lib/ldap/slapd.replog is generated, so slurpd does nothing. If I
remove the syncrepl section and add a rootpw, then changes done locally
lead to a /var/lib/ldap/slapd.replog file, as expected.

Is it possible for a LDAP server to serve both as a syncrepl replica and
a slurpd server?

Cheers,

Nicolas Boullis