getting stack traces etc, i e bug report info

I just mentioned a problem on the list and one of the recommendations I
got was to run gdb (indirectly because it referred me to a page with those
instructions) to get the stack trace.

How is this done? My gdb insists that my files are not executable even
though I execute them just fine (apart from that they crash eventually).

To elaborate a bit: the stripped executable could be run in gdb (with very
little information available of course), the non-stripped version can't.

I realise that this could be construed as being of topic but this is
probably something that more ldap software users have been baffled by.

Johan Jönemo

Technical info:

gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.3
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux".

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i586-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr
--with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,f95,java,ada --disable-checking
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.0.2 --enable-java-awt=gtk
--disable-libjava-multilib --with-slibdir=/lib --with-system-zlib
--enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit --without-system-libunwind
--host=i586-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)