Re: referrals in use

Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Csillag Tamas <cstamas@digitus.itk.ppke.hu> writes:

On 07/29, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Csillag Tamas wrote:

[...]
Subordinate needs a common prefix for the two databases, do they?
(If I understand correctly.)

Yes, in principle, but but rwm might do the trick, but I'm not sure.
"" is common to any base.
That's what I was trying to avoid, with referrals.  I'm ready to go the
way you suggest just want to make sure what and how to do it correctly.
dc=itk,dc=ppke is in production, dc=mkpk,dc=hu is a new suffix, I do not
want to make big changes in dc=itk,dc=ppke, but can move dc=mkpk,dc=hu
to dc=mkpk,dc=ppke.

So I need to create a dc=ppke root element to create a common root
prefix. Then create dc=mkpk,dc=ppke and set the subordinate flag for
this database. Both must have a same rootdn.
If I start a search against dc=ppke I can search both databases.
Please correct me if I wrong.

This would be a better task for back-meta and rwm, although I do have
my struggle with rwm.
back-meta means yet another layer (and possibly another server) in between; slapo-glue (i.e. "subordinate") sounds better for the desired use. But slapo-glue doesn't work too well with slapo-rwm(5).

In this case, one could use:

# ...

database bdb
suffix "dc=ppke"
subordinate
# ...

database bdb
suffix "dc=hu"
subordinate
# ...

database bdb
suffix ""
# ...

or, as an alternative:

# ...

database bdb
suffix "dc=itk,dc=ppke"
# ...

database bdb
suffix "dc=mkpk,dc=hu"
# ...

database meta
suffix ""
uri "ldap:///dc=itk,dc=ppke";
uri "ldap:///dc=mkpk,dc=hu";
# ...

so that requests for any of the specific naming contexts get satisfied by the appropriate database, while any other request gets routed to both if appropriate (i.e. if the empty base is used). The second solution is a bit less efficient, but parallelizes lookups; the first approach serializes operations but should be much lighter.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.
Via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office: +39.02.23998309 Mobile: +39.333.4963172
Email: pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it